- At 6:30, Robby and I headed upstairs to wake up our little camp goers. The boys were quick to hop out of bed but Campbell and Reagan were a little harder to stir. Keaton's head was hanging off of the bed so I did have to move her slightly but she didn't seem to stir. Later while others were getting dressed, Robby saw her on the stairs and urged her to go back to bed for a bit longer which she did.
- After everyone was dressed, they ate and then we sprayed them down with sunscreen and bugspray. I don't really think that the sunscreen was that beneficial since it really probably only lasts a few hours which would be to around 10 and the sun probably isn't that strong then. (Thankfully though they didn't come home burned or bitten at all.)
- Robby first picked up Cash and then drove to church to drop Graham off. The church only took first and second graders so Graham rode the bus with them. Then Robby picked up the Pennington boys at church and dropped all off in Benton to ride the Family Farm bus.
- Keaton, Whitman and I had a busy day around here. This morning when it was just the 3 of us, I had fond memories of how it was when there were just 2 little Dennies around here. The day did start off well-we ate our breakfast, played a game, made a few batches of muffins to freeze, played another game and Keaton even made lunch for her and Whitman.
- But by 3 this afternoon, I remembered very clearly why I have so many kids-the more siblings they have around then the less they need to be entertained by me. I just looked it up and an average 4 year old asks 437 questions a day but I guarantee you that Keaton is way above average. I did manage to get some things done while answering her questions, playing baby doll, playing another game, building legos, having a birthday party for a doll and coloring. Whitman watched his kindle some and played trains but for the most part he was right beside us all day long. I will tell you though, I am exhausted-it is tough playing all day long.
- Robby came home with the campers and they had all had a wonderful day. Campbell met new friends and was very pleased with her 1st place in horsemanship. I was very glad that Graham had a buddy, Noah, to sit with on the church bus. Anderson had a great time and as always is a man of few words but I was able to pull a few facts from him. Reagan was completely worn out but had a wonderful time as well.
- Surprisingly the kids were not as hot and stinky as I thought they would be when they arrived home but before I could tell everyone to put their shoes up, Graham was climbing into the shower. Everyone showered and then we began supper.
- Months ago, I bought 120 pounds of potatoes and tonight I finally cooked them all (ok, it probably wasn't 120 pounds of potatoes but was a lot for us Dennie folks.) Robby cooked some chicken and everyone was happy. After supper the kids vegged out on the couch while we cleaned the kitchen and packed their lunches for tomorrow.
- We put everyone to bed around 9 so they can rest up for tomorrow. And then Robby and I plan to check out our possibly melted ice cream from last night-cross your fingers that it is salvageable...or maybe Chef Shuttle delivers ice cream!
(click here for today's pictures)
(click here for today's pictures)
- Keaton didn't sleep too well last night since her tummy was a bit uneasy. Not really sure why but I would have to assume that she swallowed way too much lake water yesterday. When we woke up, we thought that she might be good to go for church and then we scaled back and decided that maybe she could go but just stay with us but after she ate a cracker with her laying on the bar, we sent her back to our room to lay down.
- Robby, Keaton and Whitman stayed home today-Robby was the one to skip church since I had to teach Sunday school, Keaton was the one not feeling well and Whitman staying home made it a bit easier for me. We were there in time and were able to see the grands before sitting down for church.
- When it was time for pick up, I sent Anderson to the other side of the building to pick up Campbell and then he hurried back to do the last activity in our Sunday school class. Reagan's teacher sent her over when their class was done so I sent her to get Graham. After all of my class had been picked up, we headed to Grannymom's house for lunch.
- While we were at church, Robby cleaned our bathroom and shower and folded mounds of laundry while Whitman watched a few movies and they also watched a bit of the church service. Keaton slept the entire time that we were gone-she was making up for her lack of sleep the past few days.
- Grannymom had lunch and the kids ate it and gobbled up Robby's favorite dessert before migrating outside to play. Robby and I ran to Home Depot to return one thing and to buy hooks for my new kitchen letters. Then we picked up our people and headed home.
- Once at home, I unpacked the car while Robby helped the kids divide up and put up their laundry. When that was accomplished, we took lunch orders for the Family Farm going kids and made their lunch and stuck it in the fridge. We prepared the kids snack for this afternoon and put Whitman down for a nap. That boy used to fight us like mad during naps but now he is just as happy as he can be to rest. Robby and I were just able to nap for long enough for us to wake up ready for church tonight.
- Tonight was hymn singing night and I also let Keaton stay in church with us. Since we arrived a bit later, I ended up way too far away from the boys and was not able to whack them on the heads like I wanted to. Anderson got up to use the restroom and then Reagan did too-my gracious! I asked when we walked into the door if any needed to but only Campbell and Keaton did-I explained that they may not ask me to get up in church again for a year. Keaton, by far, won the Dennie kids behavior competition during church tonight.
- We were home feeding the kids supper when the Wilson's text. So after the kids ate, we loaded up our frozen pizza and Sunday ice cream and headed over there. We ate our pizza and passed out ice cream to the kids. We sat around and talked until too late and then loaded up my tired kids to put them into bed.
- Around 11, when Robby and I were sitting watching foot network and playing on our computer, Robby jumped up and shouted "the ice cream" and ran out the door. Now, I also become very excited when I think about ice cream but this was a bit extreme even for him. Then, I thought he was talking about the ice cream that we took to the Wilsons. Now, I also would have been disappointed if our ice cream would have been left at their house but this was a bit of an extreme reaction for this. Finally, I realized that our ice cream bin filled with an assortment of ice cream treats and our blessed oreo ice cream was still in the back of my van. It was a sad sight but hopefully some will still be salvageable-we weren't expecting to have to have an ice cream funeral tonight but that we did. It was a sad, sad night but maybe some diet coke will make things better.
(click here for today's pictures)
- It was pretty late last night when the kiddos were finally asleep but we still knew that they would be up pretty early and they were but not nearly as early as I would have expected them to be up. (Though I had no idea that Robby had already fed 4 of them while I was still in bed snoozing away)
- Before too long everyone was awake, fed and in their bathing suits. The kids were super excited but since we aren't really lake people, they had no idea at all what to expect. The dock was just down the road and there was plenty of room to play.
- After everyone was life jacketed up, the girls went out on the boat and the boys stayed back at the dock. At the dock, the kids used part of a boat slip to be a balance beam. There were 2 big kayaks and 1 little one along with a paddle board. They also had a huge floating water mattress thing and fishing poles to catch fish.
- When the girls arrived back, the boys left on their boating adventure. Robby went on the second run with the girls and I went on the second run with the boys. The McGuire girls loved speed when they were on the tube and couldn't get enough. Reagan and Campbell managed to stay in and loved speeding through the water on the tube. Little Keaton just went on the tube the first trip. She rode with Laynie and I don't think that she was too crazy about the ride. Completely opposite of Keaton were the boys. They loved tubing and couldn't get enough. They never got tumped but I do believe that if they could have rode in the back of the tube all the way home tonight, they would have.
- There was a bit of a problem with the boat but it happened at lunch time, so Amber, April and I ran back to their house to pick up lunch. We had all of the sandwich fixings for lunch and brought them to the dock to eat. Everyone ate lunch and then it was round 2 for the boat.
- When everyone got back from the boat ride, we started packing up to head back to the house and then the Dennies started packing up to head back to our house. We had planned on staying for supper but realized that it would just be too late to pick up Whitman and get our people home, cleaned and into bed.
- After loading up, we drove home stopping only three times (compared to yesterday's 6 stops). Today's stops were for ice, gas and supper so they were all pretty quick stops and we were at Nonna's house to pick up Whitman by 9. Whitman had had a wonderful time and hang on to Nonna's leg for dear life so he wouldn't have to go home with us. Once we were home, he stayed in his car seat and told Reagan that Daddy was going to take him back to Nonna's house. That didn't happen because his momma put him into his bed!
- The kids rotated through the showers as Robby unloaded the car. We put everything up during their showers and soon everyone was happily resting in their beds. We all had a wonderful time and my people can not wait to go back.
(click here for today's pictures)
- This morning was the last day of VBS, water day for the big 3, pies in the face to watch, a night at the lake for all but Whitman was was looking forward to a night out at Nonna's house. Needless to say, I had some pretty excited kiddos who were up early, early this morning. Whitman did help wake everyone up this morning when he went up to the boys' room and dumped out a box of Lincoln logs so he could stand on it and turn on their light so he could play his trains.
- We had our breakfast and finished just in time to put up laundry before heading out the door. When my job was over, I picked up Keaton and Campbell who had just finished seeing the preschool pie in the face and we also picked up Whitman and then went to see the Barnes get a pie in their face. Overall, the VBS kids donated over 2,000 bucks to buy medical supplies for Belize and Honduras.
- We were walking to the car when my big people told me about snow cones out front so we drove around there and all had a snow cone before picking up a pizza on the way home. Once we arrived home, the first order of business was cleaning out the car and then lunch.
- The kids helped clean up their rooms and then all packed for our night at the Pennington's house. Then they had free time while I packed for myself and cleaned the kitchen. We finally loaded up after 3 and our first stop was at my folks house to drop of Whitman.
- Whitman saw his bag today in the mudroom and noticed that I had not packed all of the stuffed animals from his bed and went to fetch them and add them to the pile himself. He was pretty excited about his night out or maybe he was just excited about getting to take his trains and train tracks with him (he never really gets to take his train tracks anywhere).
- The first stop of the trip was Chickfila for milkshakes and then Robby ran into Walmart and then Home Depot to find a part to fix his magic movie box. Then I ran into 2 stores looking for an atlas which they did not have (not because we needed one but just because we wanted to have one to plan our trip with) and finally I went into Walmart to return something that Robby bought on his first Walmart stop and to pick up that elusive atlas. By this time, we were close enough that we didn't even have anytime to look at the atlas to work on our trip planning.
- Once at the Pennington's the kids gave us a tour and we unloaded our bags. Jaymie had made some bbq which we all ate for supper. The grownups sat inside and the kids sat outside. Then the kids watched a movie while the adults sat outside and talked. The evening seemed to fly by because the girls are now all sound asleep in the media room and the boys are in the boys' room. We are about to call it a night because I am sure that it will be an early morning!
(click here for today's pictures)
- Well, we did it! We had toast today! Now, I will say that since Robby was working from home today, he was able to help serve up the toast for us. I was still scrambling trying to get my girls' hair done-seriously, God knew that we would never be anywhere on time if I had 6 girls.
- We were on time again today and my big kids are in such a hurry to get to their classes that they speed walk down the hall to check in. Campbell was also excited today and walked herself to class-it was water day for her little group and she was thrilled with this. Keaton helped Whitman put in his offering outside of his classroom today and then they both went to class happily.
- Things were splendid today until I went to pick up my Whitman. He happily helped me gather his papers and then went back to the now empty offering bucket. His "coins" weren't there anymore and he was devastated. He did not want to leave without his "coins" and cried and cried. I tried to explain that the money was so boys and girls could have medicine and that didn't work. I tried to explain that the money was for Jesus but that didn't work. I tired to explain that the money was an offering but that didn't work. I finally just promised him more coins when we got back in the car.
- Once everyone was in the car, we headed to Pops' house to eat lunch. Nonna had lunch ready for us and the kids gobbled it up before we changed our clothes and loaded up for the pool. Graham was so tired this afternoon that he didn't even want to swim but he did manage to swim for a good while. We just stayed for 2 hours and then we headed home.
- I had big plans for the kids to help me pack and clean when we came home but they were so tired and pitiful that I thought they just needed some quiet time. So they all rested while watching a few movies and playing their kindles. They ate supper and then everyone was full of energy when they saw the neighbors outside.
- Pops came to stay with my tired kiddos while Robby and I ran to the store and Keaton went to a playdate with her friend Evelyn. They had lots of fun-painted, played outside, popped poppies and put stickers on paper! (notice all of those Ps-I worked hard on that!) Robby and I did some speed shopping at the grocery store-2 buggy fulls! That is probably why we should not go to the store by ourselves!
- Back at home, Whitman and Pops had been watching movies inside while everyone else was playing outside with the neighbor kids when we arrived home. By the time we had unloaded the car, the neighbors had to go in and the kids started cycling through the showers. I told the kids to pull out their clothes for tomorrow and then they could get into bed or help me pick up around the house (I had no takers for picking up!)
- Tomorrow is the last day of VBS and all of my people are excited about the day. Will be a fun day!
(click here for today's pictures)
- Day 3 of VBS and still no toast. I know, if I were to get up just 5 minutes earlier I would be able to stick some toast in the toaster but it just may not happen this week. After loading up and leaving this morning, we drove on to church. I have been arriving around 8:30ish each morning and when I get there each day, the front of the parking lot is crazy full-like cars parked in every single spot and even parked crazy. Then I drive to the back of the church house and the place is deserted.
- When everything was over today, I picked up the littles and we sat in the sanctuary and watch the ending of today's VBS with the big kids. The kids were pretty excited but when Paige told them the offering totals the place erupted...the boys are way, way ahead of the girls in their giving to the Honduras and Belize mission trips.
- Reagan went home with Ava this afternoon and they went swimming and then for snow cones. She had lots of fun and was pretty tired when she made it home this evening. The rest of us headed home and as I was mentally trying to decide what we would eat for lunch, the boys asked if we could go to Burger King. Um, sure. Nuggets for everyone except Graham who is a hamburger and nugget man. They must have been starving because they begged to eat on the way home and they gobbled their food up before we even arrived home.
- This afternoon was pretty quiet. Around 2, I decided that Whitman (and I) needed a nap so I got his milk and was putting a pull up on him for naptime. He plainly told me that he needed his robot pajama pants and pajama shirt and obliged. But that is just how tired we all are-tired enough that you need to put on your pjs before taking a nap!
- Around 5, the kids saw the neighbors outside so out they dart. They played with them until I called them in for supper-pork tenderloin, beans and rice. And as soon as the last bite was inhaled, the kids were back outside. Robby and I also went out and worked in the garage the entire time the kids were out playing.
- When they came home, neighbor man walked down to tell us that he had given the boys 5 dollars for helping out. We had seen them helping but I am sure that they didn't do 5 dollars worth of helping. I am sure that some of their money will go to further increase that boys offering total.
- We were outside until almost 9 so when we came in, speed showers were given, teeth were brushed, laundry put away and clothes laid out for tomorrow. Once everyone was put to bed, I started on making 2 batches of cookies for this weekend and then it will soon be our bedtime!
(click here for today's pictures)
- Day 2 of VBS and goodness gracious if I had this much trouble getting out of the door this morning then how in the world will we still be able to get there on time for three more days? I probably should just go to bed right now but that isn't going to happen.
- I had big plans for us to have toast this morning but that didn't happen so it was just pop tarts which could be inhaled while I read our chapter of the Bible for the day or they could finish it in the car. Right now though getting the kids to get in the car is fairly easy-we are listening to a pretty good book on tape and the kids are loving it (I am too). It is over 10 hours of cds so that will keep us busy for a few more mornings of VBS.
- Today at VBS the big 3 all came home with cute little canvases with painted trees on them and a plate that is a dry erase board. They are neat but not really sure where we will put all of this. Whitman pottied in his class (woohoo) and even was able to take home a little beach ball. Campbell was cute in her Angry Bird hat-it was hat day for the big kids so she joined in. And Keaton was super proud of all of her crafts that she made.
- When VBS was over, we went to Nonna and Pops' house to eat lunch. The kids gobbled up everything that Nonna put in front of them. At 1ish, Anderson and I ran to the endodontist for his second check up with her. So far things look good but we will have to return in 6 weeks and then again in 3 months for follow up visits.
- On the way home, we ran by the library and then on to Nonna's house to pick up everyone else. Once we made it home, Campbell laid down on my bed, Graham spread out on the floor with a blanket and Reagan cozied up on the couch. My people are tired, tired!
- We didn't really do too much this afternoon and when Robby came, we had our supper and then all migrated outside. The excitement tonight was the kids getting to help the neighbor kids catch 3 of their escaped chickens. And after Robby finished mowing, we played our first game of kick ball and had ourselves a blast-a hot, sweaty blast but a blast nonetheless.
- Once inside, it was showers for all and then bedtime-day 3 tomorrow and maybe we will try toast again for breakfast!