- Only 7 more days of school left so that fact is enough to get me out of bed early and ready to start the day at a decent time. And since I now consider 8 to be a decent time things went smoothly this morning.
- We had our breakfast-those buggers almost finished 2 boxes of cereal this morning (one of those was just bought for me!) Everyone ate at the bar so the cereal crumbs weren't too bad this morning but chore time today still involved vacuuming. I did have Reagan vacuum during chore time because I wanted the floor to be vacuumed well.
- The kids finished at a decent time this morning and we worked on science until lunch. Graham and Anderson had become a bit behind on their Bible study so they had to work on it after lunch while the girls and I worked on chores.
- Today I thought that I would try really hard to include Whitman on our chore time-it didn't go so well. Pottying didn't go so well today either-we will need all new carpet by the time this kid is potty trained. I was even on the treadmill this afternoon when the girls came upstairs to say that he had pooed on the floor-how does that happen? I had just taken him potty and he had on underwear and pants. Oh, gracious!
- This afternoon we were watching a documentary for a few minutes before I let the kids free for the afternoon. We were all sitting quietly when we heard a loud kerplunk come from upstairs. I counted heads and everyone was in the living room so then I looked outside to check for a branch that might have fallen but didn't see anything. Before I could realize what was happening, Reagan and Graham were running upstairs to see what was wrong. My first reaction was "I'm not going up there" but decided that I should at least go to protect my brave kids. I was shocked that they thought nothing of exploring the loud sound-it was only a box that had fallen in the attic which I had been digging in earlier and apparently didn't put up well.
- For supper, I heated up some chicken tortillas and then it was off to soccer. Robby took the girls while the boys and I stayed here for a bit. Then we loaded up and drove to the soccer fields. Once at home, the girls showered and had a snack and then when the boys came home, they first received hair cuts before their showers. It was past time for hair cuts (and no Whitman didn't get a hair cut tonight).
- After the boys were clean, it was bedtime for all our peeps. Whitman was exhausted tonight-he had to be reminded about his milk. Before bed, I give him the tiniest sip of milk in a big boy cup. He thinks he is something else drinking his milk on the counter while everyone else is brushing their teeth.
(click here for today's pictures)
(click here for today's pictures)
- Our Sunday morning was pretty much the same as usual-some up early (boys), some up later (girls), some throwing clothes on in a hurry to get to their kindles (boys), some stalling to put on their clothes (Reagan, who is just slow in all she does, and Campbell, who didn't like her outfit), some weeping and wailing (Keaton fussing about her dress) and some as happy as they could be (Whitman when he heard breakfast was cinnamon rolls).
- After church this morning we headed to Grannymom's house for lunch. Hot dogs were on the menu and that is a favorite of everyone. Now dessert was banana pudding and I do not believe that it was a favorite of the majority of the Dennie kids-weirdos.
- They played outside with Grannymom while we ran to Sams to pick up some food (for Keaton's school) and medicine (allergy meds for my allergy peeps) and then we picked up the crew and headed home. Keaton and Campbell wanted to stay outside so we let them and Robby even joined them as he cut the yard.
- Whitman was inside and outside-pouring bubbles, climbing in the fridge, washing leaves in the sink, climbing on the kitchen counter and watching a movie-needless to say that child did not allow me to have my Sunday afternoon nap. But that was fine since I did a little bit of planning for school in the fall which was possibly time better spent than with a nap.
- Church tonight and we even let the kids play on the playground after church. They had fun and thankfully didn't get hot enough to warrant their second shower of the day. Once at home, we gave them another snack (2 snacks make 1 Sunday supper? right?) and then we had our ice cream. Unfortunately, our ice cream choices have become very, very limited but Robby did promise to buy some more before next Sunday.
- After ice cream, we did send them to bed so they could read for a bit extra tonight and you would have thought that we had given them candy and money-they were so excited! Worked well for us-now we can eat the leftover ice cream!
(click here for today's pictures)
- We weren't too sure how Whitman would do sleeping upstairs in the boys' room last night but we were pleasantly surprised when he walked in our room a few minutes after 7 this morning. Behind him were Anderson and Graham carrying Whitman's stuffed animals, pillows and blankets. That little boy has his big brothers wrapped around his little finger.
- We had found out last night that soccer was cancelled this morning due to the massive amounts of rain so we took it fairly slowly this morning. The kids, of course, were up and not so patiently waiting for breakfast. Robby made cinnamon rolls so that is always a crowd pleaser.
- Once we heard that Robby's car had been fixed, we headed out to pick it up and go grocery shopping. My children absolutely abhor going to the grocery store-or any kind of shopping. And if I had to choose anywhere for Robby and I to go together, Kroger would be in the top 3. Maybe they don't like it because they believe that I will not let them get anything that is not on the list-that is not true because today we also came home with a caramel apple kit, Mexican cupcakes, and "the good lunch meat."
- After the store, we both drove to the gas station which was a much needed stop for my car. I only had 12 more miles before I ran out of gas-we were just living on the edge today. Once at home, we all emptied the cars and Robby grilled hot dogs for a late lunch.
- The kids, then, started watching their Redbox movies. They had 2 movies so it took them until after 5 to finish them. We had a snacky supper while watching a kid baking show and then we watched a bit of a documentary before bedtime. The kids had some time to read before lights out but there was lots of moving around in the girls' room which is right above my head!
(click here for today's pictures)
- The sound of the rain was wonderful this morning and it was so dark outside that we could have stayed in bed for hours-except Robby was already out of bed getting ready. Seconds later Graham was in my room asking for help with his school work.
- Soon everyone was working on their school work before breakfast. I plan school for a month at a time and every 2 weeks I give us a day off. Those days off are usually spent busy with our homeschool friends or doing something else and not just spent at home. But since we were going to be just at home today, everyone had 3 boxes of work to accomplish.
- So everything was finished by breakfast which was leftover doughnuts. Then the kids had quite a bit of down time until we worked together and did our chores. The most exciting thing that happened today was that Whitman did poo in the potty. His Daddy had told him that he would get a prize and maybe he remembered that because each time that he pottied after that he would sit on the potty and really try to poo again. I think he was trying to earn more prizes.
- Before we had lunch, the kids all migrated onto the front porch and soon were all out front in the dirt. It was nearing 12:30 and since the lunch I had cooked was getting cold (leftover potatoes, mac and cheese along with some fruit) was getting cold I had to call everyone in. They were already a bit filthy but asked to go back out after lunch and much to their delight I agreed.
- After the kitchen was picked up, everyone but Reagan (who does not like touching anything messy at all) headed back outside. It was barely sprinkling but the ground was still wet, wet. Keaton and Whitman didn't last too long but Campbell, Anderson and Graham were out for at least an hour. They splashed in the water, went down the slide, threw water on each other and themselves and even laid down in puddles. They were a mess and probably needed to be hosed off before I even let them in the house. I did manage to contain their mess and only let them come inside in shift so I could get them to the shower for a good scrubbing.
- Around 5, we left to pick up Robby, who dropped his car off to be worked on. Then we ate at La Madelines which was very good. The Davids were there and we convinced their kids to sit with us and even convinced Sara to go home with us. After supper, we went to Walmart to buy Whitman his present (he wanted a Bob the Builder prize) but was happy to get a car that floats. Robby even said that if he continued with the pottying then he would get another car that floats!
- We also picked up some ice cream and had ourselves a bit ole ice cream bar before turning on a movie for the big kids. Whitman, who was such a big boy today, even went to bed upstairs in the boys room. We will see how well that works out. At least he will be asleep when the big boys go to bed. Though trying out a new bed probably wasn't the greatest idea for a dark and rainy Saturday morning!
(click here for today's pictures)
- Campbell came downstairs this morning asking for me to open the school room door so she could get her phonics and math out. This caused me to have lots of questions-mainly "why?" It turns out, Reagan was upstairs in her bed working on her school work so Campbell wanted to take her school work upstairs as well.
- Reagan was already working because she knew that today was her turn to go with Robby and Whitman to take Keaton to school. Today was finally picture at Keaton's school and I tell you, I picked out the cutest little outfit ever for her to wear. But you can probably imagine that she was none to happy with my choice but I didn't care at all-today was my pick and she was going to wear it!
- Whitman couldn't have been happier to go with Robby his morning and he was very happy to get to ride in the red van-for some reason this is just a treat for everyone. He had his poptart in his hand and was happily munching his way. Reagan convinced Robby to take her Krispy Kreme for superhero day (buy 1 get 1 free). Whitman munched on his doughnut for a few bites and then asked for his poptart.
- Now back at the house without Reagan, my consistent hard worker, it was almost silent. It was oddly silent-like I almost called Robby for him to listen to the silence. It just made me think about how quiet things are going to be next year with Keaton and Whitman gone....and that just makes me a little bit sad or a little bit happy (I am not too sure which one.)
- School went very well today The kids finished in time for us to work together, do our memory work and even work on science for a few minutes before lunch. While I made lunch, Reagan and Graham worked on chores while Anderson finished his last bit of school.
- With chores finished before lunch, we didn't have too much to do this afternoon. After a bit of kindle and movie time, Robby kicked the kids outside. They played outside until Keaton came home with dessert-warm brownies-for us to enjoy. We all devoured the entire pan and after Nonna and Pops left, Robby called me over to mow a bit while he went in to send an email.
- I wondered where Whitman was but figured that one of his 5 brothers or sisters would keep watch. I would look for him when I was turned facing the driveway but then would turn back around mowing in the other direction. Then the next pass, I looked up and Robby was running down the drive way. I kept mowing while wondering what was happening-his run was a slow run, almost a jog and not a sprint. So I wasn't too panicked-I could see most of my kids but I was certainly curious. I called Reagan over and she said that he was just going to to Whitman. When Robby did take over the lawnmower for me he said that Whitman was almost to Lawson. (Grandmas-he wasn't really all the way to Lawson. He does only go down there when his brothers and sisters are down the road and Anderson was down there ready to tackle him if necessary.)
- By 5, we were all inside eating supper. We were hot from being outside so steaming hot baked potatoes just made us hotter but it was well worth it. The kids love baked potatoes-or maybe they just love the cheese and butter that we let them smoother on top. After we ate, we cleaned the kitchen lightening fast and then headed to Maumelle.
- Brett was playing a baseball game and we ventured across the bridge to watch. We left a bit later than planned and when the traffic stopped before we even made it to 630 we were concerned that we would miss the whole thing. We did see one wreck happen and then the remains of 2 more wrecks but soon we were again moving and made it to the game in plenty of time.
- The kids enjoyed watching Brett's team win the game but they also enjoyed playing on the playground and getting a drink on the way home. We stopped by the Wilson's house on the way home to check on the barn raising. Then it was home for bedtime.
- When we pulled into the driveway, I saw someone running. They weren't running from our house but they were running in our yard and not on driveway. I pointed this out to Robby and we went for a drive down our road just to check things out. The kids had no idea why we were speeding down the driveway. Just when we thought the runner had vanished, we saw our neighbor (who is in his 60s) with his kid. Robby rolled down the window to make sure everything was alright. Neighbor man said that the boy was having a meltdown...so I guess that Whitman wasn't the only runner in the neighborhood. But gracious, old neighbor man sure can run! After this excitement, we headed home for showers, teeth and bed!
(click here for today's pictures)
- Only 2 more Wednesday mornings with CBS this school year and after staying up until 2 last night, Robby and I knew that we would have to get moving early this morning. When we went to sleep Robby said that the storms would wake us up but they never did. I am glad that we still set our alarms since the rain was a no-show today. (I hope that the rain is also a no-show on Saturday because Reagan is counting on playing her friends and she has high hopes of beating their team.)
- We were able to get everything accomplished this morning that we needed to and then all loaded up for Bible study. Graham was pretty excited because today was his snack day and everyone else was excited about singing during their end of the year program. I was more on the nervous side about this because Whitman did pretty well at Christmas but surely that wouldn't happen again.
- When the program began, the big 3 were first and I was not the only one who was a bit nervous. My little, confident Reagan stood there with her hands constantly moving-twisting her hair, fixing her sweater-I would never imagine that she would be nervous on stage but she sure looked it. At least Graham and Anderson's hands were still-mainly because they were shoved into their shorts pockets. They did great and sang 3 different songs.
- Then we had Campbell and her class. My little Campbell wasn't doing anything with her hands at all-especially none of the hand motions. That little cutie would just grin and sing away. Then we had Keaton and Whitman's classes. Now Keaton was a little angel, singing, smiling and absolutely perfect. And then Whitman-he stood in his spot the entire time (and it was pretty long for a little guy.) He did the hand motions and even looked like he was singing. We couldn't have been prouder of all of our Dennies-so proud, in fact, that they received Sonic drinks on the way home from Beebees this afternoon.
- After the program, we headed to a playground to play. The playground is one of my favorites and the kids loved it too. They could have stayed longer but we all left and then saw Beebee. She was wondering where we were and had already called me twice by the time that we made it. She had jewelry that she needed for us to untangle so I went right to work on that.
- This afternoon the kids drank their Sonic drinks, rode their bikes, played basketball, played their kindles, watched tv, played the xbox and even read. I am not sure how we were able to cram all of this in during the almost 3 hours that we were home before turning around leaving for church again.
- We ran by the library and then on to church tonight. There are only 3 more Wednesday nights before our summer break begins and I am certainly counting down for that. Graham is not because he is trying to master the books of the Bible and Reagan is trying to learn all of her previous verses before then.
- Once at home, we changed into our pjs and then the kids had a snack before going to bed. I think that my little singers were pretty tired from this busy day.
(click here for today's pictures)
- Graham had been told yesterday that as soon as he walked down the stairs, he was to start on his school work at his desk so after I realized that he was downstairs already working on school, I was up starting everyone's day. Robby went upstairs to wake Keaton up. She was of course ready to go to school and had already picked out a cute dress to wear. I am sure that Ms. Jennifer thought that we were confused about what day was picture day-that is how cute she looked this morning as she bounded out of the house with her pop tart in hand.
- I caved and let everyone have a pop tart this morning not really realizing that that means that tomorrow will have to be our toast and yogurt day which means I will need to wake up fairly early and since we are out of yogurt in the house and probably don't have any outside then there will be some unhappy little Dennies running around-but that is for tomorrow's blog and not todays.
- After our breakfast, we started our school. Campbell worked with Whitman some today on his letters but he wasn't too interested-Robby had left his closet door unlocked so it didn't take Whitman too long to find his kindle this morning and wasn't too pleased with me whenever I would hide it! I believe that I have high expectations each summer but this summer, I really would love for Whitman to learn his letters and sounds (he already knows many of them), Keaton to start her reading book and Graham to improve his handwriting. And while we are at it, I think it would be neat to do a little study on proper nutrition...or we could all just play outside, ride bikes, watch tv and go swimming-like people really should in the summer time.
- School was fairly noneventful this morning. Reagan was finished really early which makes me think that I might should give her more school work. She immediately started cleaning things up without being asked and then spent the rest of the time reading in her bed (wonder if she has done something wrong that I just don't know about yet and she is trying to be really good until I find out?)
- We had our lunch and then all of us started on our chores. The boys had to bring snack for their class tomorrow so they "helped" me make cookies. Anderson poured in the mix and stirred and Graham cracked the egg and then stirred and then they both left. We had not even finished properly stirring the mix much less put them on the cookie sheet or cleaned up. I was a bit shocked and even thought about calling them back to finish helping but my trusty afternoon sidekick, Campbell, was with me and she faithfully helped me work until the end.
- I walked on the treadmill today-first for 2 minutes and then someone came and asked me a question and I had to stop. Then for 8 minutes when Whitman fell on top of the treadmill so I had to jerk out the safety switch so we wouldn't tumble on each other. (He wasn't hurt or phased at all-though I did try to convince him that he was hurt badly and that falling on the treadmill was very scary.) About 10 minutes later, he was laying in the floor beside the treadmill and flipped the power switch to it-I came to a sudden, jerky stop pulling a muscle in my neck! After that I just tried my best to guess when I had been on there for 30 minutes and was reminded why I really should run in the morning time.
- I had spaghetti made for supper and pretty much as soon as Robby and Keaton made it home, we plated the food and I left for bunko. After supper, everyone went back outside and were outside until after 8. They quickly had their showers and then went straight to bed.